Monday, November 02, 2015

Beach to Battleship, Beach2Battleship, B2B


Before I ever wanted to do an ironman, before I even learned to swim I knew about this race and I always knew it would be a bucket list race for me. No matter what,  I wanted to do this race sometime, and some how, this felt like it would be the right year to do it.  So what was the appeal?
The concept of a current assisted, almost in the ocean but safely not. A point to point race, a place I had only been a few times, and only a minor 16 hour drive there and back, what is not to love??

 For the three people who actually read this blog, you will be aware there is the minor point of ..I had already done an Ironman this year. Two months almost to the day ago. Yes I do realise the overwhelming bit of this. However, I did talk it over with some people and my logic was that, heck if I am trained for mountains I might as well take advantage of that fitness and do another. When I signed up. I was unsure if Ironman would be a one and done event and I had to sign up early to save $100 American. Thus, before I even attempted IMMT, I had my back up race in order...... ahh nope. I actually put B2B in the darkest closet in my brain. Minimal thought was put into it, I did not want to have a easy out for Trembant and Trembant was my A race. All along, I thought of Beach to Battleship as a little, extra. A bonus race that was to be fun, however once I was done IMMT, it took some time to get back into training.

I ended up resting until  September 8 then jumping back in. Not as intense, but volume remained. I missed a long run because I sprained my ankle. I always sprain my ankle before races. they are chronically swollen. My last long ride was completed in the  hurricane like winds  at an 24k hr average pace. Don't bother converting it Americans- it is slow. I was not as focused and may have stopped a few time on rides to eat lunch, like at restaurants. It was more of an ultra approach to triathlons than a marathon approach. Regardless, I knew I still was reasonably fit and I would finish. Finishing in daylight likely would not happen.








So point to point sounds fun right? Logistically, and time wise. Not so much. As I was being home stayed by a race sponsor*, and beggar's are grateful, I was staying further away from T1 or T2 then I would usually would. So the day before the race I had to Wilmington to drop off bags and then go to the start line at Wrightsville beach to drop of my bike. Then back to Carolina Beach to sleep so I could wake up at stupid o-clock to go back to Wrightsville beach to participate in the race. Did not bother with the dinner as I had Maya with me.

* My niece works for Outdoor Equipped and the company was a sponsor and I stayed at her house thus I am almost like an elite athlete and get hosted.

Matty Blacks glammer shot with a palm tree.





I am in love with American bumper stickers.

Maya was my official photographer, must teach her to focus.





.
 I spoke with several people the day before about what time to make it to T1, and thus was there so completely early but whatever. All I had to do was put my water on the bike and make sure my tires didn't pop in the night and then get a trolley ride to the swim start.
Interesting about this race is there is no morning gear bag. So if you go to the swim start alone as do most people, and whatever you do not take with you on with swim you donate to the beach. Was there rather early as was suggested. I had my coffee cup in hand, a banana for me and a friend to make and a gel. I was caring my wetsuit and had on old shoes,  miss matched socks, old uniform pants, old sweater, old t-shirt, throw away jacket from last years Niagara's falls race, and I was cold. There were people in  just their wetsuits. Just sitting waiting. Could not believe it.

Pasted the time chatting with people. I remarked that I knew I was I was only Canadian in the crowd as I was the only one drinking coffee.  An older man appearing to be sleeping spoke up. A Torontonian  who was in the midst of 8 ironman's in 8 weekends in a row. Or at least that is what he said. Actually I just looked him up John Wragg!!!! Oh my goodness. Now all his stories are making incredible  sense.


Swim
Eventually, it became light enough to put on my race tattoos, which I managed to only get 50% right. Discussed race nutrition to a fellow doing his first and basically developed a plan in 10mins for him to follow during the race as he had no idea what to do at all. Started walking down the beach to the swim start. And this is where I went a little wrong. Made a few minor errors. I was pretty focused in not getting in the water too quick that, maybe I took to long to get in the water. As in I was getting in with old men after I had given them hugs cause they looked cute. ie....- picture 29.  Perhaps I did not look out into the water so I would not realise how far I would have to swim, however that creates  a problem when  you have no idea what to sight nor do you know what is the best route to take. That channel was lined with a lot of volunteers on paddle boards, kayaks etc. but the path was so wide I found it hard to focus. I started out on the far right and eventually moved to the far left as I sight left and realised I could likely make a straighter line if I stayed closer to the guards. I also thought it might not be a bad idea to be close to the guards. I knew there was little chance I would drown but I found the water to be choppy, I had more than my fair share of salt water to drink. I had to take one break and mentally collect myself. I find it is a good idea to do that near life guards as they tend to worry about people who just stop. While reassuring myself I would not die in the ocean today I asked the guard if it was choppy and I was reassured I was not going crazy, it was indeed choppy and windy.  This thing about the current is it is amazing. At best I had hoped to be 1:15 cause really I do suck and I get worse in open water, so when I stopped my watch at 1:03:15 I laughed out loud! I think I am spoiled now and may only do current assisted races. No shame here.

T1
It was 400metres to get from the swim exit to t1- on rough pavement.... and I had brought only one pair of throw away shoes... So I ran very carefully on the smooth concrete curb and took a lot of time in the tent. Towel, socks, shoes. Helmet on. Helmet off. Towel, shirt on, jacket on, gloves on, gloves off, arm warmers on, jacket on. gloves on, helmet on. Finally GO. Perhaps if I wasn't so busy chatting with people about IM Maryland in the tent or remarking I wish I would have changed into a dry bra in the tent, I could have had a better time. I think it was 9 minutes.  Sure there was that long run but a average time seemed to be six minutes.

Bike
Immediately I realize the jacket is a mistake, it is like parachute, and it is too hot, but really what does it matter, I had no idea how fast I was riding. My speedometer was not working. My cadence meter, which I did not care about for a flat race worked fine. I swear it worked the day before. I have a garmin on my wrist but when I do multisport it does odd displays and I am too lazy to change it.
Basically for the full you do some time on busy 4 lane city streets and some bridges then some time on big 4 lane highways then the half and the full separates....... and this is where reading the race guide a little closer would have come in handy. You see there is a half race and a full race going on at the same time so I assumed that the full just completes the bike course twice, or something of that effect. I looked at the maps vaguely but I know I am not the one in the front and really I didn't know any of the roads so what does it matter. I will just follow the person in front of me. So it hits me, we are not looping back to Wrightsville beach, we are heading further north. Just to confirm the next person I pass I causally ask, 'Do not think I am dull but, um is this a two or a one loop course?'  Lots of nice flat pretty roads, problem with that actually is there is no wind break. Apart fro the final section on the oil refinery road, I think HWY 74, there was either a cross wind or a head wind or just why am I sucking  so bad wind. The flats offered no break. You have to work for the entire ride. And if you are ridding a TT bike, your best bet is to be in aero... and after about 4hours in aero, my neck and shoulders were killing me. All in all, stopped once to pee behind a car cause the port a potty line was to long, in a real port a potty once cause I was sick of the people I was riding with. Stopped twice to work out the tension in my neck. I grabbed two water bottles and three bananas. My criticism is the bike aid stations were not long enough. Could not get what I needed in a pass. Also one more could have been helpful, but not completely necessary. Saw at least five cemeteries, and oh how I wished I had my camera. Problem was each one had better shots and light then the last, I would have lost a ton of time just taking pictures.
The ride took longer then I anticipated, so long Luke thought I something mechanical must have happened. Every time  when I was  supposed to eat, I just kept on dreading it. Sick to death of gels.

T2
Arrive into Wilmington via a big bridge over the  Cape Fear river, you just hand off your bike and run through the Wilmington Convention center. They just hand  you your bags which is nice not to have to find them. Another cool thing is the change tent is located directly beside the nice indoor toilets. Took advantage,  however not as much as I would have liked. Time 6:23 which seems good.

Run
Run was two out and backs along the water, through downtown, past a oil refinery up a hill, and into a park around a never ending lake. Course was OK in theory, and really I have nothing to complain about there. Pretty, shaded, But I want to complain.
I am rather disappointed with this result. Official time is 4:52. With my garmin I have a moving time of 4:33.Either way I know I could have done this run faster. I started out well, first 16k were respectable. Then there was a bit of a up hill that I walked and had a hard time starting again. Then I saw Maya and Courtney and walked a bit with them. Did well to the turn around and back again until I hit the section around the lake. I just mentally broke down. With the smaller field I was just not catching people. I had a strong worry I was the last one.  I was lonely. I felt barfy, and my nutrition plan was completely messed up. I tried swallowing gels but I kept on gagging and throwing them up. I was cool switching to on course nutrition of clift shot jelly things, but not all the aid stations had them, and everything else made me gag. I met a fellow around 30k and and we had a nice visit  walking and talking about shark  attacks, but we separated cause I wanted to spend some time in the indoor washrooms at the turn around. By this time I just wanted to get done. I had been handed a light stick and I was depressed. Finally managed to latch onto another girl who might be my race twin as she just wants to talk all the way through as well. Thank goodness for her or I would have not stayed focused and would likely have walked it in. We didn't let the other walk and made a plan for the aid stations.  Saw Maya and Courtney again around 40k, they had been waiting at the finish but Maya was getting worried so they started walking back to make sure I was not dead. Nobody at the finish line, but I was OK with that. Rather disappointed in the finish line as it was in a gravel pit/ marnia.  I understand this race changes the run course yearly and used to finish in front of the waterfront court house but due to construction this was it..... a parking lot. This was one area that was much different than Ironman branded races. No grandstand, small area, no carpet or decorations . No medical personal that I could see. I didn't need them but I was looking just to compare and I did not see. The massage tent was just about done packing up. So for the final finishers.. it would have been quiet. I must mention a funny moment on the run. For some reason I stopped in front of a bar on the first loop and for some reason I took  a complete strangers beer and took a drink, I don't even like beer. I have no idea why I would do this, but at the time it felt like the right thing to do.

Felt surprisingly ok Sunday. Tired, but minimal muscle stiffness. The drive home I was dreading, was actually not so bad

2 comments:

Robin said...

Congrats to you!! That's awesome, two so close together. Great recap.

West Grey Runner said...

#2 reader here ... loved the part about the Beer and huge congratulations on your second Iron Man.